WALTON COUNTY, Fla. (WPMI) The Walton County Sheriff's Office has issued a state of emergency due to flooding in the southeastern part of the county in and around the Choctawhatchee River.
The current flood waters are expected to crest by Friday, March 1, at 20.5 feet.
The following actions are being taken by the sheriff’s office in order to protect the safety of the citizens and visitors of Walton County:
1. The Sheriff’s Office has issued a voluntary evacuation of all affected and surrounding areas. The order will be in effect beginning at 3 p.m. today for all low-lying areas south of County Road 181-C to the mouth of Choctawhatchee Bay, including the Bunker and Steel field Areas.
2. A shelter will be open at 3:00 PM on February 26, 2013 for evacuees at the Bruce United Methodist Church located at 269 Church Road in Bruce, FL.
Those who decide to take advantage of the shelter should bring the following items with them as needed:
2. Important medications
3. Special medical devices such wheelchairs, walkers, oxygen, etc.
4. Diapers, infant formula, baby foods if needed
5. Bedding, pillows, blankets, etc.
6. Puzzles, books, small games for children
7. Food and water for 72 hours