MOBILE, Ala. (WPMI) The night club fire in Brazil claimed the lives of more than 230 people Sunday morning. Brazilian Fire officials believe a pyrotechnics display is to blame for the fire. Local 15 took a look at what Mobile County Fire officials are doing to keep Mobile clubs safe.
Mobile Fire and Rescue Department's Steve Huffman explained how pyrotechnics works.
"These things are gun powder, fireworks, and they shoot pretty high into the sky. So you've got to have some pretty high ceilings to use them indoors," said Huffman.
For that reason, the Mobile Fire and Rescue Department stated pyrotechnics are not allowed in Mobile night clubs.
Huffman stated, "The venues are so much smaller. The only place we allow pyrotechnics is at the Civic Center, and that's only with a permit."
Fire officials said Mobile has strict codes in place to make sure people can escape if there is an emergency. Clubs are inspected once a year, especially around Mardi Gras season when overcrowding may be in an issue.
"The way clubs are set up, you have to have so many exits out the building. There's a capacity limit, and it's the club's responsibility to count the number of people going in and coming out," said Public Information Officer Huffman.
In addition to capacity limits, fire officials check for well lit exit signs.
"We look for exits, make sure exits aren't blocked, not locked," said Huffman.
He added, "You're in there. You should be able to look and see that lit sign saying exit or leading to the exit."
Another thing officials check for, fire extinguishers. Officials stated they should be readily available.
"I'm not saying a fire couldn't happen because of our codes and watching the clubs closely that the chances are a lot less," said Huffman.