(MILTON, Fla.) A 12-year-old boy is being credited with saving the lives of his four brothers and sisters ages 9, 6, 5 and 3.
It happened in Milton, Florida. Justin Jackson was watching his younger brothers and sister. His parents were both working when a fire broke out at their home in the 6600 block of Ridgecrest Drive. That's when Justin sprung into action.
But doesn't think of himself as brave. And certainly not heroic.
"I was just helping my family," he said humbly.
On Sunday at 2am when he woke up to flames, his only thought was saving his four baby siblings.
"I knew the house was going to be gone. I knew we had to move," said Justin Jackson.
"When I woke up, I just freaked out," said 9-year-old Emilio Jackson.
After heavy storms knocked out power to their home Saturday night, Justin and his brothers fell asleep in the living room. His sister Brooklynn was asleep in her room. Thunder and lightening woke them up.
"I woke up and I saw fire on the curtains," said Emilio.
Justin didn't hesitate. First he rescued his three younger brothers, Emilio, Diego and Will.
"I just picked them up and took them outside and I was knocking on neighbors doors and none of them came out," said Justin Jackson.
That's when Emilio realized someone was missing.
"I told him, Brooklynn is still inside!" said Emilio.
Justin ran back inside and kicked down the door to his sister's bedroom.
"I had to pick her up and she was real stiff. I was just real scared at that point," said Justin.
Brooklynn made it out safely. Justin went back inside a third time to call 911.
"Smoke was in my eye. I couldn't see anything," he said.
"He didn't worry about himself. He got everybody else out," said Tiffanie Jackson. She was at work when she got the call about her children.
"When I saw the flames I was like my house is on fire, I didn't know what to do. My life is burning up. My babies were in that. There aren't enough words to describe how proud I am of Justin. He's my hero," said mother Tiffanie Jackson.
"If he wasn't here, we wouldn't be alive. I'm a heavy sleeper," said 9-year-old Emilio Jackson.
Saturday evenings' heavy storms knocked out power to the home. Justin lit candles for light. But the family believes it was a lightening bolt that caused the fire. Fire officials are still investigating.
The family lost everything and the house is a total loss. You can donate money, clothes or toys through Ferris Hill Baptist Church. You'll find a link on their website. Http://ferrishill.org/