(JACKSON, Ala.) Gov. Robert Bentley was in Clarke County Thursday to announce some big new transportation projects in Alabama.
It's part of a new program called the Alabama Transportation Rehabilitation and Improvement Program or ATRIP.
Projects are 80 percent federally funded. Local counties and cities pay the remaining 20 percent.
The new program is funneling $10.1 million to Mobile County for road projects. One of them will begin at Brookley Field.
Roads and bridges across the state will soon get a makeover.
"The infrastructure created and repaired creates jobs and makes life better for the people in this area," said Gov. Bentley.
Bentley flew down to Jackson to announce 105 new transportation improvement projects throughout the state.
"We had 64 counties of the 67 submit projects. We had 61 of this first round approved and we have two more rounds to be approved this year and we want this to continue for three years," said Bentley.
Expect three projects in Mobile County. Broad Street will be resurfaced from Michigan Avenue to the railroad tracks.
"It's a great project that's in the heart of one of our most industrial areas of Mobile, in Brookley. That hasn't had a lot of maintenance on the roads in a number of years," said Mobile Engineer Nick Amberger.
In Prichard, reconstruction on Wilson Avenue will soon begin. It will start at 12th Avenue and go all the way through Prichard to St. Stevens Road, costing roughly $4.8 million.
Also, County Road 96 from Mississippi to U.S. 45 will be resurfaced in Mobile County.
Five projects are scheduled for Baldwin County with a total cost of $5.7 million.
"I certainly think this is a step in the right direction," said Amberger.
Construction in Mobile should begin right after the first of the year.