Whether it's supplemental income, wanting to make a change in your career or wanting to start your own business, many working moms are taking on second jobs and many of those are done right in the home. For those up to the challenge, some at-home second jobs can be financially rewarding. Sometimes the second job can replace the person's primary job. Career experts say direct selling jobs are best for supplemental income, but they come with challenges. So here are some tips on what to look out for:
1) Talk to people already doing it. Get an idea of what you're getting yourself into.
2) Get support. take advantage of women's business developments in your area to learn more about starting a small business.
3) Do your homework. Make sure you're going to work for a reputable organization. If you are launching something new, select an enterprise that fulfills a real customer need.
4) Beware of scams. If the ad on google says you can make $5,000 a day without leaving your couch, steer clear.
5) Be realistic about time. If you work long hours in your day job, a second part-time job might be too much for you.
6) Don't neglect your day job. Remember that your first responsibility is to your current job. You don't want a second job to interfere with those priorities.
7) Don't shut out your family either. They're a main reason you're doing all this.
These tips come from the book, New Job, New You: A Guide to Reinventing Yourself in a Bright New Career.