ITALIAN SEAFOOD SOUP (STEW)
The ITALIAN FISHERMAN RESTAURANT
2503 OLD SHELLL ROAD, MOBILE
8 large tomatoes cut into ½ inch slices
3 Tbsp X-V olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh fennel, diced
1/2 cup carrots, peeled and diced small
2 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
3/8 cup Pernod or other anise-flavored liqueur
4 cups fish stock
Finely grated zest of one-half orange
1/2 tsp, saffron threads
20 mussels, debearded and well scrubbed
20 cherrystone clams
40 medium shrimp (or squid rings)
One pound firm flesh shrimp, cut into 1-inch squares
One pound bay scallops
2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
One cup julienned fresh basil
Tabasco Sauce, to taste
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2) Lay the tomato slices on a greased baking sheet and Drizzle w/2 Tbsp olive oil, sprinkle w/S/P. Roast till Caramelized, about 30-40 min. Cool and chop to dice Set aside in small boil
3) Over medium heat in a hvy pan sauté onion, celery, Fennel and carrot in Tbsp. of olive oil, stirring ~10 min
If the mixture becomes too dry or brown, add a bit of
Water of fish stock
4) After 10 min., add garlic & cook until vegetables, Are soft, stirring ~10 min. more.
5) When the vegetables are ready, warm the Liqueur In a small saucepan warm the liquid. Turn off heat and flame the vegetable with liqueur, stirring until the flames have subsided
6) Return pot to medium heat, add fish stock, zest, 1 tsp. salt, saffron, pepper and reserved tomatoes.
7) Bring the pot contents to a simmer, do not boil, add the mussels and clams and cover. Cook 2 min then add shrimp and fish, cook 2 more minutes covered. Add scallops (or squid) and cook for 1 min.
8) Add parsley and basil and season to taste w/ S/P & Tabasco.
Serve in warm bowls with Crusted Baguettes bread, taking care to divide seafood evenly.
Enjoy with Trebbiano, Orvieto or Pinot Grigio chilled wine.